Heading
Full green force ahead
Subheading
Mars Belgium makes switch to predominantly green fleet

Mars Inc consciously contributes to the realization of the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement to keep global warming to a maximum of 2 ° C. On a local level, Mars Belgium wants to continue to play a pioneering role in the field of mobility and sustainability. On the one hand by using the car less often thanks to a flexible approach on working from home. On the other hand by tackling car use in a different way, thanks to the accelerated switch to a 'green fleet' with the integration of plug-in hybrids and fully electric cars.

After a test project with electric cars two years ago, the implementation of the new ‘green fleet’ is now a reality. The target set in 2018 will be achieved this year: by the end of 2020, just under 25 percent of the fleet will have been converted. This will be at least 50% by the end of 2023. The first phase will focus mainly on the office-based staff, the representatives and other associates who are often on the road for professional reasons will follow in a near future stage.

Decrease in CO2 emissions

The first wave of ‘Associates’ (collaborators) making the switch to a PHEV (plug-in hybrid) or EV (electric car) immediately leads to a significant decrease of just under 40 percent in the CO2 emissions of the total fleet. If we only take into account the cars that will be replaced in 2020, the decrease even amounts to an impressive 78 percent.

Pierre Camé, General Manager at Mars Belgium: “We want to play a pioneering role in the switch to (partially) electric cars. Every single local decision is taken with a view to reducing our ecological footprint. There is also a great deal of enthusiasm among our Associates to contribute to this vision. Long-term sustainability is not only part of our business strategy, it is an ambition that each of our employees wants to contribute to.”

Including infrastructure

One of the major lessons from the pilot project in 2018 was the lack of supporting infrastructure. To help solve this particular matter, Mars Belgium offers its associates 20 newly installed charging stations in the company parking lot.

PHEV drivers are also given the opportunity to opt for "split billing" if they want to charge at home. Employees with an EV are given the option to have a charging station installed at home, covered by Mars.

Mars Belgium associates can now choose from a range of leasing vehicles, of which 65% consists of PHEV and EV models. The remaining 35% consists of models with carefully selected diesel engines. The range is reviewed annually in function of the needs and of course the favorable green impact.

Selection 65% green

Mars Belgium employees can now choose from a range of leasing vehicles, of which 65% consists of PHEV and EV models. For this, Mars works together with a couple of specific manufacturers: Audi, BMW, Peugeot, Skoda, Volkswagen & Volvo.

The remaining 35% of the range consists of models with carefully selected diesel engines. The range is reviewed annually in function of the needs and of course the favorable green impact.

Part of a bigger plan

The switch to a greener fleet is part of a larger, global plan of action.

Mars launched the world's first report of its sustainability commitments in September 2018, entitled "Sustainable in a Generation". That plan consists of three main pillars:

  • Healthy Planet
  • Thriving People
  • Nourishing Wellbeing

Within the pillar 'Healthy Planet', in addition to careful water and land management and stewardship, the focus is also on 'Climate action'. Mars' global ambition is to eliminate 100% CO2 emissions from its own operations by 2040. These ambitions have led to many shifts at both local and international levels in recent years. At a local level, for example, both the commercial department in Woluwe-Saint-Pierre and the Uncle Ben’s® factory in Olen have been running 100% on green, renewable electricity for years.

Mars Belgium has also taken many steps to reduce the ecological footprint in the field of the supply of raw materials and the entire logistics chain.

More information about "Sustainable in a Generation" can be found at https://bel.mars.com/sustainability-plan.

 

 

 

Call To Action